Thursday, June 16, 2011

Good press coverage for Atheists and Hemant Mehta

The first article in my inbox this morning was a story about the Atheist response to the vandalism of two churches with FSM graffiti and tags. Hemant spearheaded a chip in fund raising effort that the effort raised over $2,500. I participated with a post supporting the effort and a small donation.

The press coverage was kind.

Word of Sunday night's tagging spread to Pastafarian members with the Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster and atheists across the country.

One of them decided to do something about it - from halfway across the country.

"You know, when I saw this church get vandalized and someone did it, I guess through atheism or Pastafarianism, I just figured the church, even though they are wrong and even though I disagree with their beliefs, they didn't deserve this," atheist Hemant Mehta said Wednesday. "So I think a lot of readers on my site would agree with this, so I asked them if they would consider chipping in."

Hemant Mehta is a good voice for Atheism. I’m very happy to see this effort worked out so well. I think it was the right thing to do and I think the effort had the right motivation. Good job to Hemant Mehta and good job to those of who supported his effort.

Technorati Tags: ,