Friday, February 18, 2011

The Great Backyard Bird Count

Mudhen-1It’s that time of the year again. The annual Great Backyard Bird Count.

We like to say that the Great Backyard Bird Count is as easy as 1-2-3. Here are the basics for anyone participating for the first time:

1. Count birds for at least 15 minutes on one or more days of the count. Count longer if you want to!

2. Tally the greatest number of individuals of each species that you see together at any one time. Optional: Print your regional bird checklist to get an idea of the kinds of birds you're likely to see in your area in February.

3. When you're finished, enter your checklists here on the website--enter a new list for each day and for each new location where you count. The deadline for data submission is March 1.

I did my part. I counted birds in my backyard and at a local park. Let’s see – there were 14 pairs of delicious Mallard Ducks, and 11 delicious geese, and over 250 not-so-delicious American Coots. Plus, I saw 3 immature double-crested cormorants, and 1 Common Pochard, I also saw a bunch of pigeons, seagulls and common domesticated ducks.

Bird Watching, Photography