Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ramadan starts and babies suffer?

I have a few Muslim friends who participate in Ramadan. With them, I’ve always considered the practice cultural rather than strictly religious. I asked one friend about the participation of children and pregnant women. He stressed that participation was voluntary here in the states, but might be compulsory in some Muslim countries. I pressed on pregnant women, he assured me that all pregnant women take precautions and that anyone at risk is excused. I accepted it at the time, but I’ve always had a few doubts.

I read this today: Pregnant women who fast for Ramadan risk damage to their babies, study finds.

Pregnant muslim women who fast during Ramadan are likely to have smaller babies who will be more prone to learning disabilities in adulthood, according to new research.

There are never absolutes. Religious people may know the risks and participate anyway, or they may not understand the risks at all. Religion does that to people. You make decisions based on superstation instead of facts. Let’s hope the make he right decision today.

Technorati Tags: ,,