Friday, June 04, 2010

Now what Gwen, start over?

I read stories of clergy sexual abuse and I'm struck time and again by the stupidity of those involved. The youth pastor throws away a life developed over years of patient study and service. All for what? A little sex? I never understand it. Gwen Hablin, the ex-youth pastor at St. Maximilian Kolbe Catholic Church in Liberty Township, threw her life away when she admitted to sex with a 17-year-old boy while on a church sponsored youth trip to Australia two years ago. Let's look at the life she threw away.

  • 9 years of service to St. Maximilian Kolbe Catholic Church
  • A Bachelor of Arts in Speech Communication
  • Her master level studies in Counseling, Communication, and Ministry.
  • Her self respect and honor. 

I see from her Linkedin profile that she specialized in oral communication. That figures. She's looking for work now, I'm sure the Baptists are hiring.

This is an odd case. The crime happened in Australia. I would think that local authorities would be unable to prosecute and I doubt Hamblin would return to Australia for a trial unless compelled. I'll have to follow this case to see what happens. I'm not up on child sex abuse laws in Australia. Does anyone know what the penalties are? I'm behind the Great Firewall of China for another day, so I'm not able to use my normal resources.

Technorati Tags: ,