Saturday, January 09, 2010

Angie the Antitheist and the meaning of life

I wish I had the answer, but all I have are the things that bring meaning to my life, my family, art, and friendships. I’ve been thinking about it since last night when I watched Angie the Antitheist’s video called What’s the point? She responds to the question, “what is the point of living with God?” Since I reject the notion of God, I don’t answer that question. I’ve always interpreted the question as, “what is the meaning of life?”

I played a game of disc golf at sunrise this morning. It was a beautify clear Southern California morning and about 70 degrees. As I walked the park with three of my friends, I was struck once again by how simple my answers are to the big question, “what is the meaning of life?” For me it’s family, art, and friendships. Simply waking beside my wife or walking in the park with my friends is enough. I’m alive to enjoy the company of friends and family, and to enjoy the beauty that surrounds us all. It’s love really. My heart is full of love. That’s the meaning of my life.