Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Shooting the homeless

Mcdonals homeless

It may not seem like much of a project, but I think it is important for me. I realized over the weekend that I’ve tuned out the homeless. To address this,  I started taking photos of the homeless as I see them each day. I may not publish these shots. I am doing this to reinforce paying attention to my surroundings and the plight of others. There are so many people who need help. Turning a blind eye to them makes me less inclined to help. It is time I pay attention.

I have a question. Do you know how many homeless live on your block or within a mile of your home or work? If you are an urban dweller like me, I’m willing to bet the number is larger than you expect. Take a look around.

This cart was parked at McDonalds in Carson, California. The owner was not around.