Sunday, June 07, 2009

Gift ideas and nutballs

I write about many things here on Deep Thoughts. This topic might be a first. Crafts.

I happened upon a craft show yesterday in Cerritos. While browsing the many interesting booths and worrying about my testosterone levels, I noticed that this was not your typical candle and teddy bear affair. There were legitimate artists mixed with grandma crafters. Some quite good. I was attracted to the work of Graphic Designer Ben Schlitter. I found his prints compelling. I play to buy a few for my small art collection. But it was the book binder Erin Zamrzla that captured my interest. Her unique books will make fine gifts this holiday season. I plan to pick up a few as soon as possible.

I ran into a nutball too. I was admiring the needle work in a beautiful craft item when I asked the proprietor, “Did you make this?” Her response was classic.

No, that is a vintage piece.”

She looked me in they eyes and said, “I might of made it in one of my former lives. Did we know each other?”

My response was typical, “No, I’m pretty sure I was Chinese.”

Oddly enough, she accepted this as plausible.

Technorati tags: ,