Monday, May 25, 2009

Science is cool: eBird.com

I love birds. I’ve enjoyed bird watching since my youth. I’ve kept track of my sightings in various journals and field guides over the years, but I don’t have one comprehensive list. I’ve always wanted to do something about it. I found eBird.com a few weeks ago. I plan to start entering my sightings via their handy interface after my next outing.

eBird's goal is to maximize the utility and accessibility of the vast numbers of bird observations made each year by recreational and professional bird watchers. It is amassing one of the largest and fastest growing biodiversity data resources in existence. For example, in 2006, participants reported more than 4.3 million bird observations across North America.

How cool is that?

Technorati tags: ,