Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Atheism 101: A Reading List revisited

In the beginning Vjack continues to refine his Atheism 101 post on developing an Atheist Reading list. I've send dozens of people to his post when they ask for help via email or in comments.

I wanted to add a book that was important to me when I first became an atheist. Asimov's In The Beginning, Science faces God in the Book of Genesis.  It is all but forgotten today. And by today’s standards the book  is fairly unsophisticated.  Back in the day it sparked my first stirrings of intellectual curiosity. I was an atheist by 1979, but an atheist who had lost his faith and was adrift intellectually.  The book came out in 1981. I checked it out from the library and was reading it at the time my son was born. I distantly remember becoming interested in science, reason, and logic after reading it.

On a side note – I remember the day Asimov died. I had the book Robots of Dawn in my back pocket. I was standing in the Science and Industry Museum in Los Angeles when I overheard another guest talking about Asimov’s death. I remember feeling very sad. 

Go read a book.

Technorati tags: , ,