Friday, June 27, 2008

Teen arrested for 'blasphemous T-shirt'

This story is from Australia.

A GOLD Coast teenager who wore a T-shirt by English extreme metal band Cradle of Filth that reads 'Jesus is a c**t' has been charged with offensive behaviour.

Above the offensive slogan a nun is depicted masturbating.

A 16-year-old was arrested on Monday for wearing the shirt and was charged with offensive behaviour under the Summary Offences Act 2005 for public nuisance.

Source: Teen arrested for 'blasphemous T-shirt' | NEWS.com.au

I did not realize Australians did not have the protection of a Bill of Rights like here in the states. Little Johnny could have worn his shirt here without fear of arrest. Of course, he would also run the risk of a good ass stomping.

Little Johnny was just supporting a band he likes and not trying to make a statement. He's not Satanic or anything (although he may be a Wiccan).

Molendinar residents Hayley and Arron, who are big Cradle of Filth fans, bought the shirts from Carrara Markets six months ago but said they had never, and would never, wear them in public.

"I'm not a fan of the T-shirt. I'm only wearing it because it's a band T-shirt and it's rare," said Arron. "I don't actually believe the stuff. I'm not satanic or anything like that. I hate that stuff. I just wear it around the house."

Right. Call me a skeptic. I've got a teenaged son. No T-shirt leaves the house without his full understanding of the message  on his shirt. It's like secret code or something.

1 comment:

Buffy said...

The fundies would be drooling over the notion of a law like that. Ugh.