Saturday, February 23, 2008

As Waco goes, so go the fundies

I like to watch the happenings in Waco, Texas. One of my best friends live there, and Waco happens to be the ruby in the eye of the rodeo buckle of the bible belt. The last time I was there I counted more Baptist Churches in one place then I have ever seen before. So Waco has become a barometer for fundie activity. Trends start there... so do cults.

This little notice caught my eye.

Wall of Misconception author Peter Lillback will present a lecture titled Does the Separation of Church and State Mean the Separation of God and Government? at 7 tonight in the SBC Theatre at Baylor University's Mayborn Museum Complex, 1300 S. University-Parks Drive.

It is a book lecture for a new piece of Dominionist Christian propaganda called Wall of Misconception. Look for Peter Lillback's words to issue forth from the ignorant mouths of fundies in your neighborhood soon. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple of months ago, Lillback's publicist sent me a copy of the book and requested a review. I briefly considered writing a scathing review, but decided that the book didn't merit that much of my time and attention. I returned it, politely declined to do the review and suggested that they might want to send it to someone else. So, I've seen the book but have not read more than the dust jacket.

postmodernista said...

Speaking of "ignorant mouths," what a shame that, apparently, neither Mojoey, nor the chaplain have looked far enough past the dust jacket to discover that the book is almost entirely pure US history, direct quotes and original source research with little, if any editorializing at all. The book was born out of the federal 10 commandments case in Chester County, PA, in which Lillback was an expert witness, which, by the way, the 10 commandments supporters ultimately won. I was extremely skeptical when I first saw this book, being a lifelong Libertarian, but having just finished it, I'm just a little uncomfortable in admitting that I've had a bit of an epiphany in my appreciation of American history. I intend to do some of my own research, but Lillback lays out a strikingly compelling and factual thesis.