Saturday, March 31, 2007

A taste of Jesus canceled

File this under "what the hell were they thinking". When I first heard this story I thought it was an April fools day joke. It opens on April 1st and closes on Easter. It seemed like a tasteless joke, but now I'm not so sure - the event has been canceled. Apparently, Catholics objected to a nude life sized Jesus hanging loose from an invisible cross. The display would have placed Jesus's penis at about mouth level for those viewing the exhibit. Who would be offended by that?

Oh wait, it gets better. apparently you can eat Jesus on Easter. I wonder what part of Jesus would be "eaten" first.

Now that the show is canceled - I hear nutball artist Cosimo Cavallaro will be selling his creation on eBay.

8 comments:

BlackSun said...

I'm not sure why you think the artist is a nutball? I think this piece is wonderfully subversive, and a great protest against the Christian war on human sexuality.

Krystalline Apostate said...

I heard it was the Catholic ADL that got it canceled.
Theists are so fragile most of the time.

Mojoey said...

Blacksun - a nutball in jest only. I think the whole thing is absurd.

the artist is crazy - but a fun crazy.

Lexcen said...

In communion we eat Christ's body, but do we throw away the penis?

vjack said...

I love it - Christians would have been fighting over who gets to eat a little Jesus penis. Oh crap - now I spit coffee on my keyboard. Just too damn funny.

Anonymous said...

"Christians would have been fighting over who gets to eat a little Jesus penis. "
vjack, you're wrong. I heard Christ was really hung.

mothpete said...

Do you remember the controversial Piss Christ in 1989? Not as tastey as choc christ. It was a controversial photograph by American photographer Andres Serrano. It depicts a small plastic crucifix supporting the body of Jesus Christ submerged in a glass of the artist's urine.

Mojoey said...

Moth - piss Christ was the original "piss of the Christians" artwork. I remember it well. As I recall, it caused the National Endowment for the Arts to loose a great deal of funding. At least you can eat chocolate Jesus.