Saturday, January 27, 2007

A funeral

I attended a funeral for the father of my cousin and long time friend Neil yesterday. I was struck by the outpouring of love and caring expressed by the family and friends who attended the standing room only memorial service. The passing of my friend's dad was a sad event. I can't help but feel better for attending the service.

The priest was especially on target. He spoke about his experiences as a child and his fear of "God the Policeman", who was always ready to send unbelievers to hell. Yet he became a priest because of the message of love he found throughout the bible. I could tell he believed it.

I am particularly desensitized to funerals. I always feel like an observer. It has nothing to do with my lack of faith. You see, as a young man, I participated in the USAF Honor Guard for one six month period prior to mustering out. I attended 4 to 5 funerals a day, 6 days a week, for six months. I was taught to pull my feeling in so as to not intrude on the emotional experience of those who are there greave. 25 years later I still feel like an observer.

Neil - I offer my condolences to you and your family. I could see your pain and your strength yesterday. It moved me.  The beer is on me the next time we meet.

 

Technorati tags: ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From one stranger to another, I am sorry for your friends loss. I am however glad that the Priest was careing and I hope able to help any of the faithful who came to him.