Saturday, December 16, 2006

Why they deny the Holocaust

Every fundamentalist movement has its victims; Evangelicals hate gays, Muslims hate Jews. None of it makes any sense.

I saw pictures of masses of skeletons, even of kids. I heard horrifying accounts of some of the people who had survived the terror of Auschwitz and Sobibor. I told my half-sister all this and showed her the pictures in my history book. What she said was as awful as the information in my book.


With great conviction, my half-sister cried: "It's a lie! Jews have a way of blinding people. They were not killed, gassed or massacred. But I pray to Allah that one day all the Jews in the world will be destroyed."

Source: Why they deny the Holocaust - Los Angeles Times

I know the feeling Ayaan Hirsi Ali describes, incredulity. How can people believe there was no Holocaust? It is like believing there is no sun. The answer - hate is taught, delusions are shared.

 

Technorati tags: , ,