Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Another Reason for Texans to Be Embarrassed

I was reading the Antiwar.com blog today when I noticed this article about the incredible lack of intelligence in our democratically elected leadership.

I’m still incredulous of what I have just read. Rep. Silvestre Reyes (D-TX), has been appointed the new chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, on which he has served for the last six years. This is a person you’d expect to be more than basically knowledgeable of the world in which he lives. Well, surprise! You’d expect wrong. Silvestre Reyes just found out last week that al-Qaeda is Sunni, and what Hezbollah is. Actually, I’m not so sure these items were resolved, I just know that when asked, he whined about being asked questions so late in the afternoon.

Here are the schadenfreudelicious tidbits for you all to enjoy:

Al Qaeda is what, I asked, Sunni or Shia?

“Al Qaeda, they have both,” Reyes said. “You’re talking about predominately?”

“Sure,” I said, not knowing what else to say.

“Predominantly — probably Shiite,” he ventured.

Source: Antiwar.com Blog · Another Reason for Texans to Be Embarrassed

Jeremy Sapienza was responding to Democrats’ New Intelligence Chairman Needs a Crash Course on al Qaeda by Jeff Stein, CQ National Security Editor. After reading the whole article, I had a thought... We test our kids before they can graduate from High School, why not test elected officials before they can chair important committees?

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, do you *really* want to get in a pissing contest about things to be embarrassed by your state about?

At least Texas successfully deregulated electricity without like, SHUTTING DOWN THE STATE!

Your governor is Ahnold.

You elected Gray Davis.

Nancy Pelosi.

etc.