Sunday, October 29, 2006

Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico

Inspiration in art can come from many sources. I find inspiration in nearly everything. Sometimes I see a odd rock set in concrete and think about the possibilities for weeks. Sometimes I see the works of other artists. And sometimes initial exposure to art sets a creative process in motion that nothing will ever stop. This is true for Ansel Adams's Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico, 1941. (I cannot display the picture at Deep Thoughts even though I own a copy because the Adams Image Trust are lawsuit nazis, so follow the link to see the image.)

Moonrise is my definition of the perfect photograph. It has inspired me since I first saw it as a young man in the 70s. It continues to inspire me to this day. I was fortunate enough to view an original last weekend. One is on display at the collectible moment, photographs in the Norton Simon Museum.

I went to the show expecting to see photo's collected by the museum in the 60s and 70s. Finding my favorite photograph on display was a special surprise. Once again, I was inspired, and humbled.

Manual Alverez Bravo

Image by: Manuel Alvarez Bravo

The show held other great works. Inspiration can come from anywhere. I found a new photographer, Manuel Alvarez Bravo. A Mexican artist with an eye towards the surreal. How I missed a gifted photographer like Bravo mystifies me. It reinforces that I am always learning, always looking for something new or unknown.

Manuel Alvarez Bravo

Image by: Manuel Alvarez Bravo

The collectible moment runs through Febraury.  

 

4 comments:

Stardust said...

Awesome photography. Thanks for posting that link.

Lexcen said...

Thanks for the link. I'm always "collecting" online art.

Anonymous said...

Bizarre... Charmaine and I were at the Norton Simon last weekend too. Sunday afternoon.

Mojoey said...

Brian - I was there at 2:00 pm. Loved the show. Sorry we missed you.