Wednesday, June 21, 2006

This will only hurt for a second

Is Bush anti-science? I often wonder. When I hear fundamentalists and the Bush administration push abstinence over contraception, I wonder. When I hear that RU-486 was held from release over concerns over promoting promiscuity, I wonder. I stopped wondering today. I read this Nancy Gibbs article. The article explores another Bush administration attempt to imprint its moral vision on the county by withholding approval for a vaccine that helped prevent cervical cancel. The reason, administering the vaccine to girls under the age of nine might promote sexual promiscuity. I do not wonder about Bush anymore. He and the conservative republican religious establishment are firmly anti-science. Although I adore the left, I would rather deal with their form of madness than watch the country move towards a head-in-the-sand religious theocracy. Separation of church and state, it is a good idea.

As I understand it. The vaccine works by reducing the population of potentially infected woman. The more women vaccinated, the lower the chance of cancer and the higher the likelihood that the virus will be eliminated. What does sexual promiscuity have to do with protecting our at risk population of woman for this deadly disease. How do fundamentalists rationalize causing the death of innocent women through their un-scientific religious moral posturing? They do not have the right to act this way. It is amoral.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,