Sunday, May 29, 2005

How cool is MTV these days?

I remember when MTV started with Video Killed the Radio Star, I remember when they played nothing but music videos, and then something changed and they moved closer to ABC/NBC/CBS, and well... FOX. Now Nine Inch Nails has dropped out of the MTV Movie awards over control of editorial (image) content. MTV objects to a picture of President Bush that would be shown behind the band when they sing The Hand that Feeds.

Nine Inch Nails does not like the war in Iraq, nor do they like Bush, but when did MTV become so politically correct? I have not watched MTV since they stopped playing music videos a few years ago so I guess I am a little out of touch, but… what happened to cutting edge social commentary? Isn't that what music is all about anyway? Some people might actually object to the war. They might be some of the same people who watch this mindless and unmeaningful award show. I do not think that showing a picture of Bush behind Nine Inch Nails while they play an anti-Bush/Anti-War song will drive sponsors away. In fact, I am absolutely sure it will attract more advertising from Pepsi.