Sunday, March 13, 2005

How Californians learn Spanish



I see more and more of this type of signage every day. English and Spanish words and phrases on street signs, in stores, and in public spaces, like at the courthouse. I think it’s cool. I took mandatory Spanish for something like five years in grade school and junior high school; it’s nice to have a refresher. Plus, about a third of the people I know speak Spanish as their native language, I’m sure it helps them too.

But I have a problem with this sign, and it’s not a racist language kind of thing. Nope, it is a why in the world did somebody put a 10 foot high sign, pointing at the only building within three miles, in the middle of a the only nice stretch of beach around Lake Perris? You can see the sign from two miles away! It is also impossible to take a picture without the Bano sign in the background. I mean, is somebody going to actually miss the fact that the only building in the area is a restroom? This is California baby, not Waco.