Tuesday, February 08, 2005

I nearly kill a man today...



…so I am posting a picture I shot a few weeks ago instead of the picture I wanted to take today.

Today was a slow photo day. I shot a few marginal shots on the way to work, worked through lunch, and left for home after dark. So, no good pictures today. Well, I left out the part where I almost killed somebody, which happened while I was running a brief errand about 2 pm today. I saw a character a bicycle. The bike was specially constructed to be part high-rise, part circus bike. The rider was sitting about 10 feet in the air and pedaling a bike via a long chain drive. The bike had absurdly small circus wheels. The bike looked custom made and was in poor shape. The rider looked like a bum, or at least very poor. I grabbed my camera (while turning left in traffic) and tried to snap a picture. I blew it and drove straight at the bike instead. The rider freaked and then drove into the back of a parked truck, landing in the bed. I stopped (I was responsible after all). He was hurt; I could see he was holding his arm. I asked if I could help, he said no; he was an illegal alien and did not want to draw attention to himself. I thought to myself, “hmm, then why are you driving a circus bike in heavy traffic?” He eventually peddled off and I did not get a single shot. I guess I would not be a good combat photographer.

This shot is for my grandmother. She is always after me to shoot pictures of pigeons on telephone wires.