Saturday, February 05, 2005

Budapest Street Scene



The roads in Budapest are normally guarded by guardrails like the one in the picture above. At first I thought this odd, and then I noticed guardrails near any high volume road. I started looking for crosswalks, but did not see any except for in low traffic areas. I went on a walk later in the day, and found that each major intersection had an underground passageway. Beneath the city was the invisible city, cold, highly commercial, and wet. I stood beneath the city for a few minutes and watched pedestrians. I snapped a few pictures, the one below is the only passible shot




I did not like the underground. It was wet, cold, and dangerous (at least for me). I had a hard time climbing the stairs because of the ice. The natives zipped up and down with ease, while I maintained a death grip on the handrail. Also, the cold made my knees hurt, which made me feel less stable while descending, but enough about me...

The vendors in the underground are willing to barter. I’m fairly sure my travel mates over paid for the cold weather gloves and scarves the purchased once they realized how cold it was. After all, when it rains, how much does a $5 umbrella cost?