Saturday, September 04, 2010

Common sense from CAIR?

I’m shocked. I’m actually shocked. CAIR, the Council on American-Islamic Relations, issued the following statement in a press release: CAIR Urges Responsible Media Coverage of Fla. 'Burn a Koran Day'

"Just as all Muslims should not be blamed for the actions of a few extremists, neither should all Christians or all Americans be blamed for the intentionally offensive actions of the Dove World Outreach Center," said CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad. "Pastor Terry Jones represents nothing but an extremist fringe."

I could have written that statement. That gives me the chills. Where is the normal doublespeak and veiled threats?

I am encouraged by the response for other religious leaders.

Twenty-four interfaith leaders in the Gainesville area have planned activities as a positive response to Dove World's planned Quran burning. In a statement announcing their plans, the leaders said, "We state clearly the act of burning the sacred scripture of Islam has no place in our faith, our religious communities, our town, or in our nation."

I plan to burn a Koran, bible, and maybe a Jack Chick tract or two on September 11, as a protest against religious nutters and their propensity toward violence, and the frequency by which they knock on my door. But the event will not be televised. Anaheim, with its large local Muslim community, is all of 3 miles from my home.

I could just be saying I will burn holy things for the press coverage. Everybody knows I like seeing my name in the press. Right pastor Terry Jones?

Yep, or I could just burn some ribs. Pork ribs… that sounds like more fun. I’ll use the Jack Chick tracts as kindling. He’s unlikely to seek revenge.