Thursday, August 12, 2010

Found Art and odd habits

DSC_7422 I like found art. I don’t know why, but the odd bits that form our daily lives fascinates me. I saw the card pictured to the left in a parking lot in Pasadena. I stopped to take a picture on my way back to my truck after a long day of walking around a flea market shooting photos. When I stopped my wife ignored me. By now she knows I stop talking and wander off at random if I have my camera with me. I do it all the time.

I stopped in my tracks, framed a photo, and snapped a quick bracketed series of the index card. When I looked up, a woman was staring at me as if I were naked. It happens all the time, but usually after I spend a few minutes shooting towards my feet. I smile and wave. I don’t know her. She don’t know me. Screw it.

In the back of my mind I thought, Found Art Magazine would live this. I must submit it. But then I saw it was directions and quite dull. Oh well, opportunity lost. I still had fun though.

When people why I take picture of street signs, graffiti, street art, or index cards, my only answer is that I like doing it. Is it wrong for something that is so simple to be enjoyable. Why do people care?

Technorati Tags: ,,