Thursday, August 12, 2010

I don’t see it boys

I got an anonymous email about this story: Mansfield pastor charged with Cyber Stalking. I love a good tip. But loath a vendetta. This smells like the latter.

Pastor Jim Reynolds was arrested on three counts of cyber stalking. He apparently sent emails to members of his former church with the phrase “You’ll pay for this” and “Screw you.” A judged issues a warrant. I doubt it will go to trial.

And there is the rub. I don’t believe in the whole cyber stalking thing. Especially when it’s misused. I get email. Lots and lots of email. A lot of it is people giving me grief over something I posted here. I only pass along the infrequent death threats. Everything else goes in the trash after a quick read. I am ok with people expressing their thoughts, even when we don’t agree.

What happened to the Christian concept of turn the other cheek?

You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

I’m just saying… perhaps it is a good idea to practice what you preach instead of sending me emails encouraging me to smite the offender?

Technorati Tags: ,