Sunday, August 08, 2010

Ethically Challenged

DSC_7411 I came across a vendor selling photos of Banksy’s graffiti at the Pasadena Rose Bowl Flea Market. My reaction was not what my wife expected. I called the vendor a thief. Well… not to his face anyway.

I was not interested in buying anything despite my love for Banksy’s social satire. I had trouble understanding why anyone else would either. Banksy’s name was not represented in any way. It was not on the pictures, nor was it on the booth, nor was it in any way displayed that the public could see. The average Joe shopper would think the vendor was the artist. And well, that’s just unethical.

Banksy does not sell his art. He gives it away.

Banksy does not produce greeting cards or print photo-canvases or paint commissions or sell freshly baked bagels. Please take anything from this site and make your own (non-commercial use only thanks)

I like this one!

balloongirl

I would never even think of taking a copy and selling at a flea market. In fact, even if I took a picture with my own camera I would still seek the artist permission before I sold a photo of something that was exclusively his work. The vendor is a thief. What do you think?

Technorati Tags: ,,