Sunday, November 08, 2009

My H1N1 moment

I happened to be at La Mirada park at sunrise yesterday. I normally play a round of disc golf with a few friends on the weekends. Yesterday was no different, except for the crowds. The park is nearly empty when I play. I saw the bird lady, she feeds a few hundred ducks each morning. Disc golfer Yoshi (a course local) was there early to warm up for the Southern 2009 California Amateur Disc Golf Championship. We played a few holes together. I also saw the big dog that pisses on my disc every chance he gets. He drives me crazy. Everything was normal. The park was quiet. But then I saw something odd, cars were parked along the street near hole 15. Lot of cars, hundreds of cars. I started to see sleepy-eyed children trailing along behind their mothers. When I arrived at the tee pad for hole 15, I saw the angry horde near the gymnasium. There was at least a thousand kids in line. Men with bullhorns stood to the side giving directions. It was only 7:00 am. The day could only get worse. It reminded me of queuing up as a child for my polio vaccine (that memory is in black and white for some reason). My only regret is that I did not have a camera.

Technorati Tags: ,