Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Deacon steals $300K

Official seal of Garfield Heights, Ohio

Image via Wikipedia

Saint Peter’s and Paul’s catholic church in Garfield Heights has fired Deacon Lawrence Cermak for allegedly stealing $300k from the parish.

"As your pastor, I want to assure you that I am committed to safeguarding the parish's assets and to doing whatever I can to ensure that something like this does not happen again," noted Matusz.

Catholic Diocese of Cleveland spokesman Robert Tayek said the diocese is also reviewing the financial record of St. Therese Church because Cermak kept the books for that parish as well.

What broke my heart was a short story I found related to this where a young man discusses a friend who left everything she had to the church when she died. All for what? So the Deacon could have a bigger house?

Technorati Tags: ,

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]