Monday, August 04, 2008

John Freshwater is back in news

My favorite fundie teacher made the news in the UK. He's got a review coming up on August 26 that could determine if he ever is allowed to teach in the Mr. Vernon school district again. If you recall, Freshwater is accused of branding his students with a cross, teaching Intelligent design, and proselytizing among his students while at school. Oh, and he kept a personal bible on his desk. Freshwater was fired in June.

The article has a couple of choice quotes.

"I don't think he meant to burn anybody. He got some bad counsel to make this all about the Bible and God. All he needed to do was say he was sorry, but he wouldn't do that," Murdock said.

and...

One yard sign read, "The student goes. We Support Mr Freshwater. The Bible stays!"

my fav...

"Nobody's ever told me to remove my Bible or to remove the other religious material hanging on my walls," Miller said. Freshwater is teaching children to ask questions "and not just to take what a teacher said as a fact."

Say what? I'd raise holy hell if a teacher displayed religious material on the wall of his or her classroom here in California. We have standards. The story is different in Central Ohio.