Sunday, November 04, 2007

A little fun up North

My family made the long trip up to the San Francisco area to visit my son and his girlfriend. It had been a few months since we had seen each other, so the prospect of two six hours drives seemed like a small sacrifice. I enjoyed our brief visit.

I took a about 5 days off from blogging so I could clear my mind.  The stress of work and my bush schedule has made it difficult for me to spend time doing much besides sleeping. My little mini-break weekend has been a great way get some rest. My apologies to the 10 people queued up to join the atheist blogroll. I will get to you within a day or so. 

I had a chance to visit Berkeley's disc golf course. It is located in Aquatic Park with stunning views of San Francisco across the bay. The course is technically challenging. I think it designed for left handed players. Most the holes doglegged to the right. The course has plenty of water hazards, however, my party only lost two discs.

When reading about Aquatic Park in Yelp, I found a couple of entries referring to the park as a active pickup spot for gay sex. I scoffed at the idea (not realizing it was a small park), but soon found that the park has an active sex culture happening just behind the bushes near the railroad tracks. As we played the back nine, we watched as a young man causally walked along a path before jumping into the bushes. My son and I exchanged significant looks and then both agreed to avoid throwing our discs near the bushes. As luck would have it, my son's next throw landed at the feet of the man waiting in the bushes. It made for a comical moment. We played the rest of the course trying hard to avoid the water on our left and the bushes on our right.

One other interesting observation. We found lots of clothing. From full outfits, to neatly folded underwear. The park is kind of skanky. I cannot imagine what it would be like after dark.

Technorati tags: , ,