Saturday, December 08, 2012

A new personal best

While playing disc golf today, I threw past the tree that sits on the point on hole 18 to land 15 feet from the pin. An Instagram photo of my accomplishment is shown below.

IMG_1626

Photo by mojoey • Instagram

Week in and week out over the last 10 years I have tried to make this throw. I have never even come close. This throw is my best ever on this hole. when I disc landed I was jumping around like I had made a hole an one. I made the putt for a birdie. It’s not my first birdie on this hole. I’ve putted from much longer distances for birdie many times pver the years. For me, 15 feet is a drop in. I make 95% of these putts. It felt good to slam it home.

This personal best came at the end of a long game where I had thrown farther than normal on almost all of my tee shots. I’ve changed a few of my throwing mechanics, practiced and bought some new discs. I’m getter better instead of declining as I age. It is a very encouraging feeling.

I wish I could say that this morning’s game was good though. I putted poorly and missed shots that I can normally hit. I counted up my birdie attempts, I was two of six on birdie and played a +1 for a a score of 55. It’s a good score for me, but I should have played a 52 or 53. There is always tomorrow.

Disc golf is amazing fun. Playing the game pushes me to do better. I like that. I think it help me feel young too. There is nothing quite like being out on the course at sunrise on a cold crisp day.