Monday, December 20, 2010

Don McCullin - a war photographer

I watch photography documentaries to learn about the working methods of other photographers. As a journalist and war zone photographer, Don McCullin has seen it all. His work in Biafra is chilling. I don’t think I can be a war zone photographer. My conflict is simple. When people hurt I feel compelled to put my camera down and help. I would be a bad war photographer, very bad.

I knew a man who survived the Biafra war (Nigerian civil war) and migrated to the states where he started a family. His entire family was killed in the war. There deaths were in revenge for his brother’s role as a leader in Biafra’s government. The stories he told me were almost beyond belief. Unfortunately, Don McCullin gave my friend’s stories life. I still remember them.

Technorati Tags: ,