Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Two words that translate to run away

Hipster Christianity. I can hardly say the two words together without laughing. The image it conjures in my mind is heaped in my own little brand of hater’s scorn. Hipster Christianity, run away…

Here's a riddle: A young man walks into a building. From the outside, it looks like a nondescript, run-down, abandoned warehouse. Inside he finds mood lighting, music with throbbing bass, and young people wearing skinny jeans and superfluous scarves. A bar off to the side offers drinks of some sort, and a frenetically lit stage is shrouded in fog. Jumbo screens display what appear to be music videos. Everywhere people text on their iPhones.

I saw some hipsters playing disc golf on Monday morning. The were bearded with funny hats. The wore stylish clothing too. When I got close I realized they were youth pastors. Its hard to tell the two apart these days.

Technorati Tags: ,