Sunday, September 12, 2010

Photo a day - Practice

DSC_8058

I tell my youngest son that practice is the key to many things in life. I mean it too. If you practice something, you will eventually get better at it. I started this blog to practice writing, and my writing skills improve with each year. I practice putting (disc golf) every day, and now putting is the strongest part of my game. I also practice taking photos. I shoot each and every day. It is the only way I will ever get better at my favorite hobby.

I’m practicing depth of field control this week. I’m not happy with the results, but that is not the point. I know that I will be happy with the results after I complete more practice.

I learned this concept from my freshman basketball coach, a Mr. Johnson. He took me aside and demonstrated how to practice a jump shot. I must have shot a thousand baskets a day after he took an interest in me. Plus, I was motivated to make the team as I was the worst player on the squad and likely to be cut once the season started. My shooting ability went from a wild-ass push towards the basket to a precise and accurate shot over the course of one summer of hard practice. I went went from bench warmer to starter on a championship team. Needless to say, the lesson took. Now I practice everything I want to improve; even something I’ve been doing for 35 years.

Technorati Tags: ,