Tuesday, September 21, 2010

David Trotter – I feel a strange connection

David Trotter is the former pastor of the Revolution Church is Lakewood. Services are held at Artesia High School where my wife an I met back in 79. You might remember Trotter from my post The Fall of David Trotter or How to win a car on Easter. Trotter crashed and burned after a devastatingly public affair. The good news is that he’s since reunited with his wife and family and seems to have his life together. He’s even written a book about the experience called Lost + Found: Finding myself by Getting Lost in an Affair.  I bought a copy yesterday. A review will follow.

How do I see the strange connection? He lives is my old neighborhood. I used to help a friend deliver papers to the house where he lives now. He managed Revolution Church, which was planted (I think that’s the right word) by El Dorado Park Community church were I grew up as a Christian, and where I eventually lost my faith. He’s working as a wedding and portrait photographer, which is something I used to do and is a hobby that I love to this day. He has my photographic eye – when I first saw his photos I was shocked at the look and feel. I have photos that look very much like those he uses to promote himself. He collects cameras, and I do too. In fact, We collect the same cameras. He shows off a couple of Box Brownies in a promotional video. I have a shelf full of them in my office. And his favorite camera, the one that means the most to him, yep, it sits on a shelf next to my desk, and for the same reason. I’m talking weird here, it’s like I’m looking a version of me.

Of course, I’m not going to cut him any slack in my review. He deserves that much. I already have a problem with his aggressive self-marketing. He had a public affair and is now publicizing his recovery. The message is clear. He’s saying that he was once a good man but that he fell, and now through the magic of a Ted Haggard like restoration, he’s no longer a cheating lout. There is more, you can book him (or his wife) to speak at your church or meeting. He’s profiting from his downfall under the auspices of helping others. Is that right? I don’t think so. All this from a man that a scant 2.5 years ago, fell.

I did something today that I rarely do. I removed two posts about a pastor who had made a mistake and was now trying to make things right. I care about people. I care about the truth, about honesty, and about fairness. The pastor in question screwed up, but he hurt no one besides himself. His recovery is hampered by my posts. It was a simple call, I pulled the posts. Would I do the same for Trotter? I don’t think so. For starters, he has not asked. But my real reason is much more cynical. I don’t trust him. He should never lead a church again, and it feels like he’s aiming for the pulpit. Perhaps his book will change my mind.