Sunday, August 15, 2010

On not being a hypocrite

DSC_7448

I attended the catholic baptism of one of newer members of my extended family yesterday. During the lengthy service, my wife asked me to go up with the baptismal party and take pictures of the event happening at the alter. I declined saying I did not want to be a hypocrite. We spoke about it later as we drove to the reception.

We go to every family event we can. I love my family and enjoy spending time with them. I am quiet and respectful of other peoples beliefs when invited to event like this. Since almost everyone knows my position on religion, I am careful to participate as an observer only. When the priest calls for the family, Godparents, and those supporting the child to come up for the baptism, he’s asking for an endorsement of the process from those who participate. I do not support the process. I find infant baptism particularly objectionable. Standing with the family would make me a hypocrite. I will not do it. Watching, take a few pictures from the seats, joining the family for lunch, that’s all good. Lending my support to a religion function… not so much.

My wife asked if I would participate as a photographer if asked. I told her I would. If they want me to participate in a non-religious role, I’m happy to help. No one asked.

We are what we do, and not what we believe.

Technorati Tags: ,,