Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Did I really hear that?

I took a year off political blogging after President Obama was elected. I promised myself no more stupidity for a year. I almost broke my silence after the inane opposition to Obama’s education speech. I could not understand any motivation for this display of un-America idiocy, but I let it pass. Tonight I listened to an inspiring speech by President Obama. I’m still processing what he said buy I can say the speech made me proud to be an American. I might not agree with everything he says, but he is trying to address our shared problems, so I’m officially cutting him a year of slack.

During the speech, after Obama said that illegal immigrants would not be covered by the health care reform bill, I distinctly heard somebody yell “Lie”, followed by a chorus of boos. It was Joe Wilson (R-SC). I think he’s stepped into a big pile of shit on this one. And he has realized it too, because he issued a quick apology.

His statement:

“This evening I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the President’s remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill. While I disagree with the President’s statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the President for this lack of civility.”

I think the days ahead will be hard on poor Joe Wilson. He earned it. I hope he enjoys the spotlight. His apponet in the next election is Rob Miller, throw some cash his way to show your outrage.

And Joe… If you are going to call somebody a liar, do it like Obama did with nutball Sarah Palin.

Technorati Tags: ,