Saturday, August 22, 2009

Thoughts on the Blasphemy Challenge

While doing the weekly adds and deletes for the Atheist Blogroll this morning, I read a post about the Blasphemy Challenge on the new blog Atheist Reform. In the YouTube video referenced in the post, Sam denies the holy spirit, and goes on to say she hopes to see the end of religion in her lifetime. I’ve always thought that these video takes guts, but they are not my style. I’ve watched a few hundred, they give me hope.

The Blasphemy Challenge reminds me of a winter day in 1983. I was driving to work on the 405 fwy in the South Bay while thinking about sin and the absolute nature of the unpardonable sin. It seemed inconsistent with the message of Christianity to me even then. I shook my fist at the sky and did denied the holy sprit, God, and Jesus too. It felt pretty good then and the fact that I can remember doing it all these years later means it was important to me.

The post at Atheist Reform ended with the author calling young Sam a hypocrite. I don’t follow his logic. Perhaps you do?