Monday, July 20, 2009

Photodriving in Socal

Blowling

It was an odd weekend for me. I had planned to go photowalking but screwed up my registration for the event, so I set out to do it on my own instead. It was near 100 degrees, so I did little photowalking and focused on photodriving instead. For the most part it was a complete waste of time. I shot very little of interest. Instead I concentrated on filling in the map. I should explain.

The Los Angeles area  is an unbelievably large place. The only city I’ve visited that comes close in terms of shear sprawl in Shanghai. I’m not talking about people here, just the size of the map. I’ve lived in LA most of my life. I’ve traveled all over the city, but I still have places I’ve never visited and even cities I’ve never visited before. So my weekend photowalking turned photodriving morphed into a map quest of sorts. New roads, new cities, new vistas, all with an ever so boring sameness. I shot few pictures, but enjoyed the ride.

There is one thing I noticed. The homeless problem is way larger than I ever imagined. I stopped counting at 120 street people. I only counted people with shopping carts or bedrolls. They are everywhere. All you need do is look around while driving.

Technorati Tags: ,