Sunday, January 11, 2009

Did God make the park?

Disc Golfat El Dorado Park

I've been doing everything I can to turn my brain off this weekend. By turn my brain off I mean not thinking about work. The next fourteen days will be hell. I gave my team permission to blow off some steam over the weekend so that Monday we can dig in on a task none of us want to do. I gave myself the same instructions. I followed them too. My major escapes this weekend were music, writing, photography and disc golf. It's during a disc golf game this morning that I ran into a pretty young fundie mother. It always makes my day.

I played at El Dorado Park in Long Beach. I even blogged my game. It was after the game that things got interesting. I had walked off the course with my friend  intending to head for home when I realized I needed the restroom (I think I'm getting old). Anyway, on my way back to my truck, I stopped to do a little Zen zoning (like daydreaming but with a dumber look on my face) because it was an amazingly beautiful morning. The sun was shining. It was warm. The sky was deep blue. And golden leaves were falling like rain from a dozen trees overhead. It was breathtaking, In situations like this I go all Zen and pine for my camera, which I had left at home.

A lady pulled into the parking lot in a new Volvo. It was  full of kids. They ran to the park’s tennis center. Mom stayed near the car. I thought it odd that she lingered near me. I though it very odd that she walked towards me and started to talk. Her first words confirmed my fears. She said, “It’s amazing what God can do, right?”.

I looked at my toes (I can now, it’s great), and said, “God, I don’t follow.”.

She went on, “You know, the miracle you are watching here, the beauty here at the park. God’s hand is in everything”. She made big had gestures, pointing mostly at the trees.

I smiled. I was amused and pissed at the same time. I did not want to talk to a stranger, and certainly not a fundie trying to make her witnessing quota. I wanted to watch what was going on. It was like watching the great cinematography of say… A River Runs Through It. Who wants to hear the people behind you talking when you’re looking at something like that?

I responded with, “Lady, we’re in a public park. There is not a blade of grass, tree, or contour of the landscape here that was not constructed by the hand of man. God had nothing to do with it”.

I guess my response was a little testy, even though I tried to be nice. She looked at me with wide eyes. I could see her thinking while her mouth worked without issuing words. Her response was epic and unexpected, “I’m going to call the police, you disc golfers are all dope smoking losers”.

I gave her my card. It has the URL to Deep Thoughts, the titles “writer” and “photographer” and my contact information. I told her, “you go right ahead”.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]