Friday, December 12, 2008

My EDAR Pledge

I'm in a weight loss pool this holiday season. We weigh in on the 19th. I'm the odds on favorite to win because I've loss a bunch of weight. The prize is $500. If I win, I plan to donate my winning to EDAR {Everyone Deserves A Roof), which is one of the coolest things I've seen in years. It is a rain proof, wind proof, tent attached to a shopping cart type frame. The perfect gift of homeless Los Angelino.

The LA Times has a great article with an heart warming video. Check it out, Upgrading from a cardboard box for the homeless.

The idea of a mobile, single-person shelter popped to mind.

Samuelson sponsored a contest at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena to design his "widget."

Eric Lindeman and Jason Zasa took the honors, with a mobile shopping cart-like apparatus. The cart features bins to hold cans, bottles and other recyclables collected by day. It folds out to create a sleeping platform, topped by a canvas cover with zippers and windows.

$500 produces a complete unit. If you are interested you can donate here.

Technorati tags: , ,
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]