Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Random encounter with the homeless

Jesus Loves You

Image by mojoey via Flickr

I was approached by a homeless man yesterday. I was in the parking lot of Tommy's in Westminster taking a phone call because my Bluetooth earpiece was dead.  I've already been pulled over twice for talking on my cell phone with out the damn thing. I'm not going to press my luck any further. Anyway... I was deep in conversation with a friend when somebody knocked on my window. It was a homeless man.

My hearth skipped a beat when he knocked. I put up a finger to tell him I was busy. He waited. A few minutes later I asked him what he wanted while knowing it was going to be cash. He asked for food instead. He said he was hungry. I offered to buy him something from Tommy's. He agreed.

I figured that guy would go for a large meal when I told him to order whatever he wanted from the menu. He surprised me by ordering a small coffee and a breakfast muffin with egg and chili. I ordered a diet coke. The food at Tommy's is epic, but it kills me to eat it.

I sat with him while he ate his meal. The interesting part of this story happened next. He asked me if I was going to talk to him about Jesus. I asked why he thought I would do that. His response bothered me.

The only time people buy me food and eat with me is when they want to save my soul. You know, Jesus love you...

I promptly replied that I did not give a damn about his soul. I told him I was an Atheist and felt that it was my moral responsibility to help people when they are in need. I don't give cash, but I will buy food.  He did not respond with words. He just smiled and finished his coffee.

Technorati tags: ,