Monday, October 06, 2008

One of the oldest known bibles to be digitized

Codex Sinaiticus

Image via Wikipedia

One of prized possessions is 140 year old Book of Mormon. It is a family heirloom I picked up from my great grandmother in the 1970s. I used it once to show a Mormon the differences between a modern version and my older version. I lost my friend a few days later. I was a Christian then. It seemed important.

The same thing will happen when people start looking at the Codex Sinaiticus. It being digitized, translated and then made available to the public.

For those who believe the Bible is the inerrant, unaltered word of God, there will be some very uncomfortable questions to answer. It shows there have been thousands of alterations to today's bible.

The Codex, probably the oldest Bible we have, also has books which are missing from the Authorised Version that most Christians are familiar with today - and it does not have crucial verses relating to the Resurrection.

My favorite line...

"When people ask me if the Bible is the word of God I answer 'which Bible?'"

This should be interesting.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]