Saturday, April 12, 2008

Black and Missing

I found Black and Missing because of this post.

On February 7, 2007, Adrian Estrada, a 23-year-old San Antonio youth pastor received the death penalty for choking and stabbing 17-year-old Stephanie Sanchez to death and leaving her to bleed to death on her kitchen floor. Prosecutors said he was angry because the teenager, who told him she had been in love with him, had become pregnant with his child.

Source: Murdered Pregnant Women: The Racial Divide

I found the premise for the blog fascinating and its mission worth supporting. I've reprinted part of the the About section below:

Black and Missing but not Forgotten was found in July 2007 in effort to raise more awareness to missing black women, children and men. It originally started because of missing woman, Stepha Henry. Stepha Henry went missing May of last year and by the time I heard of her, it had already been a month since her disappearance. So I went off to do a little research about her. I was surprised to only find a couple of articles on her and an outdated America’s Most Wanted profile. But what really set me off was this quote from Miami Herald’s Crime Scene blog:

“I’m livid. I agreed to conduct a last-minute interview with MSNBC about the case of missing Stepha Henry, the 22-year-old college grad who went missing May 29 from Miami-Dade. I rushed to MSNBC’s studio but a few minutes before the interview, I was told that it was off—Paris Hilton coverage was more important.”

I could not believe that Stepha’s story was being pushed to the side to cover an heiress’s trip to jail. I was furious but instead of complaining about it, I decided to take action and create my own media. While I was doing my research in the beginning, I noticed that it was extremely hard to find an article on a missing black person...

Read More...

The real gem is the reporting. I could not stop reading. I've never considered race in my relentless documentation of religions hypocrisy. The basic premise of Black and Missing is that when black people go missing, not body gives a damn. After reading the blog, I think the author has a point.

I'm adding Black and Missing to my recommended blogs. it seems appropriate.

Technorati tags: , ,

1 comment:

Johnny C said...

One of my good friends and popular author Jeff Mariotte, wrote about about the same subject called "Missing White Girl". It is a good read, though more supernatural novel than history. I recommend it highly.

You can check it out at his site here:
http://www.jeffmariotte.com/missing.html