Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Blogroll update: a few ideas

The Neural Gourmet posted The giant list of atheist blogs (Mojoey's Atheist Blogroll) today. A few other bloggers are doing the same thing. I like the idea. It helps build our community rankings in Technorati. Each link counts. I'm rated in the Top 10K. It is a reflection of other people linking back to my blog. As an added bonus, any time somebody links to me, it helps build my blog credibility with search engines. I do the same when I post stories linking to other blogs. Cross posting helps build our community. It is something we should do more often.

I plan to start a regular a new feature tentatively called "the best of the Atheist Blogroll".  I don't know if "the best of" is accurate , it might end up as a "survey of blogs" or "this week on the Atheist blogroll". I'm still working on the concept. The point is, I will review the best posts from a handful of blogroll members each week, along with my normal misspellings and snarky comments of course. I encourage my fellow bloggers to do something like this.

I would also like to suggest we have a 2007 best blog award for blogroll members. You know - 2007 blog of the year, best Atheist photoblogger, best post of the year, that kind of thing. I would like to solicit comments and suggestions. Please send me an email or post here if you have any ideas.

7 comments:

Ben D said...

I think that's a great idea. Would you run it by people submitting their favourite posts every week and then judging between them, or would you just pick 5 (say) blogs off the blogroll each week and ask them to submit their best posts, as a way of letting people see everyone's content?

Anonymous said...

Kudos, Mojoey. You are to be commended for your work to help unify this motley crew of non-theists, B.S. debunkers, rationalists, materialists and those who loathe ideologically driven hypocrisy.
I personnally love Pharyngula, UTI, and Whore in the Temple of Reason - besides your own blog, of course. PZ Myers at Pharyngula is amazing, and has a rabid fan base from all over the world.

Anonymous said...

Great idea. When I first joined I read through every single blog on the list and picked a handful that I enjoyed reading on a daily basis (that was when we were only 200 or so). I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't kept up and that a lot of the new blogs have escaped my notice.

As for technorati, I thought that being on a growing blogroll with 400 blogs would up my rating, but if anything it has been sliding lately. My authority number is only 111 and I thought that was supposed to be the number of blogs that linked to you. My ranking slid from 34,000 down to 46,000 in just the past week. Anyone knows what gives?

Rikertron said...

This sounds great!

I like the point that ben d brought up. I for one would love the opportunity to be spotlighted, but I'm pretty new here and I don't have much of a readership yet; as such I'm not likely to be nominated.

But if everyone were asked to submit a favorite post of their own in a weekly rotation, we all get our moment.

Of course, nothing wrong with voting on favorites at the same time...

Anonymous said...

I like your idea! You could do a "Featured Blog of the Week" sort of thing, since readers like me don't have the time to check out all 400+ blogs on the list.

Unknown said...

Good idea, Mojoey.

I try to keep up, but rarely can. A survey would be great!

Carolyn Ann

vjack said...

I really like how you're thinking about ways of promoting atheist blogs. I applaud the idea of doing our own awards and of featuring various blogs from the blogroll. What helps one of us helps all of us when it comes to spreading the atheist meme.

I recently posted the entire blogroll, and I'm pleased to see so many others doing the same.