Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A bad day

I escaped the tedium of a hospital waiting room yesterday for a few minutes in the Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden at California State University Long Beach. My mind was not on photography. Only a few of the photographs I shot were passable.

I was looking for peace and quiet. I found it. The garden is quiet, even with a dozen visitors. I liken it to a cathedral. People act with hushed reverence when walking around the stately koi pond. It is easy to loose oneself in the serenity of this exquisite  little oasis.

koipond-38

I am off to the hospital again this morning. My stepfather is gravely ill with cancer. I do not know if he will make it. It is time spent with my wife, phone calls with friends, moments alone with my music, and visits to the Japanese Garden which help get me through these tough times.

9 comments:

jamon said...

Sorry to hear of your tough time. My thoughts are with you.

Johnny C said...

Best wishes. We as a community are here for you.

Anonymous said...

We share your pain. Take care.

Gary McGath said...

Best wishes and hopes.

Anonymous said...

Went through similar with my elderly parents this year. All the very best with this.

tina FCD said...

Beautiful picture! Take care.

Mojoey said...

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Today was a good day. My stepfather came out of surgery ok. The doctors say he has a chance if he can make it through chemo. So we have some hope.

His cancer is stage 4, so for now, it is day to day until he clears his next stage of treatment.

Thanks again.

Joe

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your step-dad...yes, the garden is a beautiful. If you're there again...in better circumstances give me a ring, I'm just a few buildings away.

Baconeater said...

I wish him all the best. Atheists can wish, I guess.