Monday, January 15, 2007

Happy birthday Martin Luther King, Jr.

I have few personal heroes. MLK is one of them. IMHO he is one of the greatest Americans who ever lived.  I did not get a chance to do my normal MLK reading yet. I like to read his "I have a dream" speech. It helps keep me centered.

Few historical people have had a greater impact on my life. I grew up in a household that reviled him, yet I found his message to be true. We are closer to being one people now. I don't know if the process will ever be complete. Politics, poverty, and religion separates us from our true potential, but the days of hate and lynching are behind us.

My children are biracial, the thought alone would have caused a scandal when I was a child. By the time my sons have children, race will matter even less. We are all free Americans now. Heck, we might even have our first black president in just two years.

I can only hope.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Martin Luther King is my hero as well. Happy Birthday to the great man. I hope his efforts at putting racial discrimination to an end dont ever go waste.
Drop into my blog for some unique birthday gift ideas.

Anonymous said...

Very much off-topic, and I apologize, but Joey:

TAG YOU'RE IT!

MEME

-olly

Anonymous said...

MLK is well respected in Canada also. A great American with extraordinary vision and courage.

Kilgore Trout said...

The only King I would bow to. And he would probably tell me not to.

I don't have anything worthwhile to add but I wanted to say something off subject and this was the top post. and Olly is off subject anyway.

In the blogroll (BTW thanks, both for adding me and for the resource) you have the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Which is a great group and I have the Gospel from them, but they aren't atheists, they're pirates. Some will claim that their religion is simply a joke making fun of ID, but others are convinced that the FSM is the one true creator.

I wanted to keep going, but after the they're not atheists, they're pirates, I couldn't stop laughing. so I'll end it here. Thanks Again for the blogroll.