Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Change Freedom of Religion to Freedom From Religion

An atheist proposes we make a minor edit to the Constitution.

The First Amendment is where the dirty work needs to go down. No change needs be made to the text explaining what the Amendment does. I'm focusing on the sub-heading, which currently reads:

Amendment I - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression.

I say we change it to:

Amendment I - Freedom from Religion. Freedom of the Press, Expression.

Freedom from religion. This is an important and crucially misunderstood idea. As stated in the wording of the constitution, it's not conceivable that someone would want freedom from the idea of God. Back in the day that was synonymous with black magic.

Source: Correct the Constitution: Change Freedom of Religion to Freedom From Religion - Associated Content

Technorati tags:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"freedom of religion" presupposes we all have one. Like a form I had to fill out in the U.K. that asked for religious affiliation. When I said "none", the clerk had difficulty grasping the sum zero concept. She even rattled off the names of a few denominations on the off chance that I was a religious illiterate who required help.

Mojoey said...

Funny - the same thing happened to me when I was in the USAF. They wanted to know what religion I was so I could be properly buried if I died in action.

I like the freedom from religion angle.