There is continual talk in the mainstream media about Republicans "getting the message" from their dramatic defeat in the 06 elections, and democrats understanding the need for compromise. I don't believe either story. The Democrats have been kicked around for six years and are spoiling to settle the score, and the republicans.... Well, just look at the appointment of Mel Martinez to Chair the RNC.
Martinez, 60, will replace current chairman Ken Mehlman, who will leave the post in January at the end of his two-year term, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to avoid pre-empting a formal announcement.
What do you get when you replace one fundie with another? Well...more of the same old right wing fundamentalist BS.
What do we know about Mel Martinez?
- He's strongly apposed to abortion, even in the case of rape or incest. His objection is on "moral grounds", which if fundie code talk for "it is against his religion".
- He supports a Constitution ban on same sex marriage and is rabidly homophobic. His senatorial campaign was the very definition of the hate filled "defeat the homosexual lobby" campaign that was so successful in the previous election cycle.
- He thinks religious displays, like the ten commandments, should be allowed in our court rooms, and in our public spaces.
- He was behind the Terry Schiavo talking points memo that suggested using Schiavo as a issue to appeal to the Republican evangelical political base. He was also behind the point unanimous vote on the Senate floor.
- Perhaps the most damming thing about Martinez's appointment is that he is Karl Rove's puppet. His rise to power and eventual election were orchestrated by Rove. His allegiance is to Rove and Bush, and his priorities so closely match the outgoing Ken Mehiman, they might as well have kept Mehinman on.
Mel Martinez has been added to my fundie watch list. If history is any indication, he will work tirelessly to further the Christian Nationalist agenda.