Monday, May 08, 2006

Evolution is a lie



I have a pious friend who believes that I exaggerate when I say I am assailed by fundamental Christians who feel the need share their views with me. The process is insidious. I encounter it in conversations with friends and co-workers. I pass billboards and placards while with the fundie message while I drive around the city. And, I run into the worst sort of nutballs at public venues who spread their brand of poison under the guise of free speech. Take this verdant nutball. He proclaims evolution a lie while his fellow devotee proclaims people like me a fool. I encounter this in one form or another everyday. Usually, it is email or an in-your-face bumper sticker. On occasion, I encounter people like this fundie who wish to "love" me to death.

I ignored this nutball. I did not want too, I wanted to confront him. Whenever I encounter people like this, I want to respond. After all, whom was this meant for if not for me? Atheists are all of 3% of the population. This means that all but a handful of people in the park were Christians already. This was an in-your-atheist-face attack on me. It offended me. In fact, it still does. The “I can prove it” implies the same old discredited Intelligent Design argument. It was like being pitched a big old softball, I could hit it out of the park every time. However, I have a policy of keeping my child away from hate and nutballs, so I checked out a photography exhibit instead. I was much happier as a result.


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not an in your face christian, but I do believe that evolution is strongly fantasized by many people after weighing both sides of the argument for a few months.