Monday, May 08, 2006

Evolution is a lie



I have a pious friend who believes that I exaggerate when I say I am assailed by fundamental Christians who feel the need share their views with me. The process is insidious. I encounter it in conversations with friends and co-workers. I pass billboards and placards while with the fundie message while I drive around the city. And, I run into the worst sort of nutballs at public venues who spread their brand of poison under the guise of free speech. Take this verdant nutball. He proclaims evolution a lie while his fellow devotee proclaims people like me a fool. I encounter this in one form or another everyday. Usually, it is email or an in-your-face bumper sticker. On occasion, I encounter people like this fundie who wish to "love" me to death.

I ignored this nutball. I did not want too, I wanted to confront him. Whenever I encounter people like this, I want to respond. After all, whom was this meant for if not for me? Atheists are all of 3% of the population. This means that all but a handful of people in the park were Christians already. This was an in-your-atheist-face attack on me. It offended me. In fact, it still does. The “I can prove it” implies the same old discredited Intelligent Design argument. It was like being pitched a big old softball, I could hit it out of the park every time. However, I have a policy of keeping my child away from hate and nutballs, so I checked out a photography exhibit instead. I was much happier as a result.


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not an in your face christian, but I do believe that evolution is strongly fantasized by many people after weighing both sides of the argument for a few months.

Anonymous said...

Of course evolution is a lie. It cannot possibly be true if the earth is indeed proven to be flat just like the Bible describes the world to be flat. (PS: even the Experiment called Airys Failure (Link to Experiment) proves that the earth is completely stationary and therefore it completely crushes the heliocentric worldview that the earth revolves around the sun)