Saturday, April 08, 2006

Artesia principle greases fence

I drive by Artesia High School everyday as part of my commute to and from work. As I have grown older, the school I once attended has become something I hardly notice. Even the children walking to and from school seem like part of the background noise. I am sure it is conditioning, I have seen Artesia so much that I do not see it any more; until last week that is… For two consecutive days, TV news crews were parked at the parameter of the high school's property. Artesia is known as perennially basketball powerhouse, even though Artesia’s program has been tinged with corruption in the past. After seeing the news crews, I figured it was about basketball. Of course, I was wrong.

Principal Sergio Garcia applied wheel-bearing grease to the tops of the fences surrounding the High School in a misguided effort to stop students from attending immigration reform demonstrations in Los Angeles. I hate to say it, but Garcia’s efforts seem well, uneducated. What was he thinking? The fences are ten feet high; students could have been seriously injured, or even killed by slipping on the grease. Safety is a vitally important issue. I work at one of the safest companies in the world. Work place safety is my company's most important value. Based on my training and experience, Garcia efforts can only be viewed as irresponsible. He should be fired.

Now, for those of you who know me (and my murky history at Artesia) – I do not want to hear anything about how I once stole all of Artesia’s school bells and then greased all the classroom door handles. That was a long time ago, I was an irresponsible kid, and the statute of limitations has run out. The issue today is completely different. Garcia is unfit to manage the safety and education of the children in his care. His actions border on crazy, yet my wife does not agree that Garcia fits my blog’s “nutball” category. Apparently, there is more to the story. Therefore, I will not add him to the Nutball Hall of Fame at this time. However, I will be watching from now on. After all, I have a son destined for Artesia.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

2 comments:

Lisa Bear said...

Jim says jumper cables would have been a lot quicker

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is absolutely dangerous. Imagine your surprise if you were to climb that tall fence and grab on to some grease like that. That could kill someone. Really...
I hate that high schools treat students like prisoners. My high school (in Northern Virginia) was fenced and barbed wired and had gates at all of the entrances closed and guarded during school hours.
I hope this guy thinks twice before doing it again.